I. Câu 01-05. Chọn từ (ứng với A, B, C hoặc D) có phần gạch dưới được phát âm khác với những từ còn lại trong mỗi câu.
|01.||A. vehicle||B.rhythm||C.humane||D. exhaust|
|03.||A. salmon||B. calm||C. walk||D. delta|
|04.||A. necklace||B. shoelace||C.embrace||D.commonplace|
|05.||A. soothe||B. gloomy||C.livelihood||D.monsoon|
II. Câu 06-10 : Chọn từ (ứng với A, B, C hoặc D) có trọng âm chính nhấn vào âm tiết có vị trí khác với những từ còn lại.
06. A. gesticulate B. secondary C. illiterate D. phenomenon
07. A. archaeology B. indispensable C. vocabulary D. pharmaceutical
08. A. repeat B. forbid C. resist D. hurry
III. Câu 11-20: Đọc đoạn văn sau và chọn phương án đúng (ứng với A, B, C hoặc D) cho mỗi câu dưới đây.
Cooperation is the common endeavor of two or more people to perform a task or reach a jointly cherished goal. Like competition and conflict, there are different forms of cooperation, based on group organization and attitudes.
In the first form, known as primary cooperation, group and individual fuse. The group contains nearly all of each individual’s life. The rewards of the group’s work are shared with each member. There is an identity of individual, group, and task performed. Means and goals become one, for cooperation itself is valued.
While primary cooperation is most often characteristic of preliterate societies, secondary cooperation is most often characteristic of many modern societies. In secondary cooperation, individuals devote only part of their lives to the group. Cooperation itself is not a value. Most members of the group feel loyalty, but the welfare of the group is not the first consideration. Members perform tasks so that they can separately enjoy the fruits of their cooperation in the form of salary, prestige, or power. Business offices and professional athletic teams are examples of secondary cooperation.
In the third type, called tertiary cooperation or accommodation, latent conflict underlies the shared work. The attitudes of the cooperating parties are purely opportunistic; the organization is loose and fragile. Accommodation involves common means to achieve antagonistic goals; it breaks down when the common means cease to aid each party in reaching its goals. This is not, strictly speaking, cooperation at all, and hence the somewhat contradictory term antagonistic cooperation is sometimes used for this relationship.
11. What is the author’s main purpose in the first paragraph of the passage?
A. To explain how cooperation differs from competition and conflict
B. To show the importance of group organization and attitudes
C. To offer a brief definition of cooperation
D. To urge readers to cooperate more often
12. The word cherished in line 2 is closest in meaning to ___________.
A. prized B. agreed on C. defined D. set up a
13. The word fuse in line 4 is closest in meaning to __________.
A. react B. unite C. evolve D. explore a
14. Which of the following statements about primary cooperation is supported by information in the passage?
A. It was confined to prehistoric times.
B. It is usually the first stage of cooperation achieved by a group of individuals attempting to cooperate.
C. It is an ideal that can never be achieved.
D. Every member shares the reward of the group’s work.
15. According to the passage, why do people join groups that practice secondary cooperation?
A. To experience the satisfaction of cooperation
B. To get rewards for themselves
C. To associate with people who have similar backgrounds
D. to defeat a common enemy
16. Which of the following is an example of the third form of cooperation as it is defined in the fourth paragraph?
A. Students from a study group so that all of them can improve their grades.
B. A new business attempt to take customers away from an established company.
C. Two rival political parties temporarily work together to defeat a third party.
|D. Members of a farming community share work and the food that they grow
17. Which of the following is NOT given as a name for the third type of cooperation?
|A. Tertiary cooperation||B. Accommodation|
|C. Latent conflict||D. Antagonistic 8 cooperation|
18. The word fragile in line 14 is closest in meaning to __________.
A. inefficient B. easily broken C. poorly planned D. involuntary
19. As used throughout the passage, the word common is closest in meaning to __________.
A. Ordinary B. Shared C. Vulgar D. Popular
20. Which of the following best describes the overall organization of the passage?
A. The author describes a concept by analyzing its three forms.
B. The author compares and contrasts two types of human relations.
C. The author presents the points of view of three experts on the same topic.
D. The author provides a number of concrete examples and then draws a conclusion.
IV. Câu 21-30: Đọc đoạn văn sau và chọn phương án đúng (ứng với A, B, C hoặc D) cho mỗi chỗ trống.
Anger has many (21)…….. Often it is an emotion which is secondary (22)…………. some other emotion that you are feeling – like fear, guilt or relief. So the parent who shouts at her kid who gets home late is using anger as a way of (23)……… fear. Sometimes it is the result of a sense of great (24)……… -such as when someone is wrongly (25)……… of a crime, finds that their partner has been (26)……… to them, or feels as passionate sense of social injustice. (27)………, anger may have other causes as well. We know that animals can be made more aggressive if the limbic parts of their brains are stimulated; (28)………, overstimulation of the limbic (emotional) centre of the brain may override the neo-cortex, the (29)…….. part. Changes in hormone levels seem to cause anger too, and inheritance plays a part, as does our (30)……… The more we are raised inanger, the more anger we are likely to feel later in our lives.
21. A. sources B. bases C. origins D. foundations
22. A. for B. about C. to D. with
23. A. overtaking B. overcoming C. overthrowing D. overturning
24. A. inequality B. unfairness C. disproportion D. inconsistency
25. A. accused B. condemned C. charged D. punished
26. A. unbelievable B. questionable C. suspicious D. unfaithful
27. A. However B. Therefore C. Moreover D. But
28. A. additionally B. consequently C. furthermore D. so
29. A. reasoning B. thinking C. considering D. contemplating
30. A. maturity B. upbringing C. growth D. development
V. Câu 31-40: Chọn từ/ cụm từ thích hợp (ứng với A, B, C hoặc D) để hoàn thành mỗi câu sau.
31. If the negotiations hadn’t been so intense, we __________ the contract tomorrow
A. will be signing B. would be signed C. would be signing D. will sign
32. This cloth __________ very thin.
A. feels B. touches C. holds D. handles
33. __________ such an easy exam greatly disappoints me.
A. Your failing B. You failed in C. Your fail D. You failed
34. __________ the plan ended in failure was no surprise to me.
A. That B. Had C. When D. If
35. __________ for a second interview will be informed by mail.
A. Who chosen B. Those are chosen C. If you are chosen D. All chosen
36. The plan __________ for a long time was eventually finalized yesterday.
A. having been developed B. being developed C. developing D. to be developed
37. I __________ a five-day trip to London to have a good rest, but I couldn’t find time.
A. would take B. could take C. was to take D. was taking
38. Interesting as __________, I don’t think they are quite educational.
A. TV shows as these B. these TV shows are C. these are TV shows D. these TV show
39. So _________ that he is willing to help everyone in need.
A. kind a person is he B. kind person he is C. he is kind D. kind a person
40. She felt a warm __________ of happiness when he embraced her.
A. heat B. glow C. flame D. fire
VI. Câu 41-50: Sử dụng từ trong ngoặc ở dạng thích hợp để điền vào các chỗ trống.
In Vietam, one of the best places to spend holiday is the romantic highland city called Da Lat, which is also know for it (41. TRANQUIL)……… First, the superb scenery, complemented by the pleasant climate all year round, provides a (42. POEM)……. setting for romance. Just imagine walking among tall of (44. FRAGRANCE)…… flowers at sunset. Second, travelling to Da Lat, people can engage in a wide range of activities. For example, beautiful gardens and buildings in lovely French (45. COLONY)……….. architecture located in quiet (46. NEIGHBOR)………. offer exciting adventure. People can also stroll along tree-lined boulevards in the shade of huge pine trees, exploring shops that sell traditional handicrafts unique to Da Lat. Finally, people visiting Da Lat can enjoy luxury because of its (47. MODERN)…………. By way of illustration, there are (48. DELIGHT)……….. hotels that have special rooms for them with candles and beautiful decorations. It is also possible for them to enjoy local specialties to the (49. ACCOMPANY)…….of soft music in elegant restaurants which are open until late at night. In conclusion, Da Lat is the Vietnamese’s first choice for a (50. MEMORY)……….. holiday.
VII. Câu 51 – 60: Tìm từ thích hợp để điền vào chỗ trống trong đoạn văn. Mỗi chỗ trống chỉ điền một từ.
One of my uncle’s friends got a job for a building company driving a huge cement mixer truck. He loved his job, but if
often kept him (51)……… from home for days (52)……..a time. And although he loved his young wife dearly, he became convinced she was having an (53)……… It was the little things: She had started wearing new clothes and too much perfume. Apparently, in an effort to catch her out, he drove home early one day. Sure enough, there was a brand now sports car (54)……….. outside the house, and the upstairs curtains were closed. Wiping a tear from his (55)……….. with his fist, he backed up his truck and filled the (56)………… with quick-setting cement. Finished with the job, he did round the corner to see what (57)…………..happen. Sure enough, his wife came out of the house with a man in a suit. They looked together at the ruined car, and his wife burst into tears. The husband was surprised to see the man shrug his shoulders, bid his wife (58)……….. and get into a completely different car. Jumping out of his truck, he marched to confront his wife and found out the truth. The car was a surprise present she had (59)………… him: the man was the salesman who had (60)……..delivered it.
VIII. Câu 61-70: Viết lại các câu dựa vào từ gợi ý trong ngoặc sao cho ý nghĩa ban đầu của câu không thay đổi.
61. She paid no attention to my advice and still partied all night. (notice)
62. We haven’t received any news from her since June. (heard)
63. Some of my friends refused to go on the camping trip. (objected)
64. I haven’t contacted my best friend for several months. (touch)
65. Was it difficult for you to solve the puzzle? (difficulty)
66. Smoking is harmful to your health. (harm)
67. Mr. Smith was not at the prize-giving ceremony, so his wife accepted the prize for him. (behalf)
68. If he drives so recklessly, he is certain to have an accident. (bound)
69. Why didn’t I remember to send him an email last night? (should)
70. I don’t like it when others laugh at me. (laughed)
IX. Câu 71-80: Viết lại các câu theo gợi ý sao cho ý nghĩa ban đầu của câu không thay đổi.
71. He is so intelligent that he always understands everything the teacher says.
Such is _______________________________________________________________________
72. In spite of his hard work, he couldn’t earn enough money to afford a small house.
For all ________________________________________________________________________
73. I have a terrible headache because I stayed up late last night.
74. I want you to apologize to him for being rude immediately.
You are to _____________________________________________________________________
75. Don’t worry about her. She isn’t worth it.
She is not _____________________________________________________________________
76. I had to wait for my best friend for over two hours.
My best friend kept______________________________________________________________
77. As I hadn’t prepared carefully, I didn’t have a successful interview.
78. He was a widower when he died.
He died _______________________________________________________________________
79. “I wish my daughter were hard-working,” said Mr. Smith.
Mr. Smith complained about _______________________________________________________
80. I thought he was my father.
X. Câu 81: Viết một đoạn văn khoảng 100-150 từ về chủ đề sau.
Students should take a part-time job. Do you agree or disagree with the statement? Justify your answer.